When purchasing a new apartment under construction, there are additional expenses, beyond the purchase price:
- Legal fees – Legal fees of the purchaser’s lawyer – Depending on the extent of work done, this can be from 0.5% – 2% of the price of the apartment, plus V.A.T (Value Added Tax – this is 16.5% of the fee in question). The legal fees of the company are paid by the purchaser. This can be between 1%-2% of the price plus V.A.T. However, sometimes the price quoted already includes the company’s legal fees.
- Real Estate Agents Fees – These fees are usually paid by the construction company, however if you hired an agent to show you around various projects, the agent will charge you a fee for this.
- Purchase tax – This is calculated on a sliding scale based on the price of the apartment. This scale is updated every 3 months. Olim are granted a partial exemption from purchase tax. Please click here for the latest purchase tax scales.
- Money Conversion Costs – Although prices are usually quoted in U.S.dollars, the payments are made in Shekels. This means that if you are using dollars to pay for your apartment, this money must be converted to Shekels. The banks in Israel charge commissions for receiving foreign currency into an account and for converting the money to Shekels. In addition, they buy your dollars at a lower rate of exchange than the representative rate of exchange.
- Mortgage costs – The mortgage bank charges a fee for opening up a file. This fee can be negotiated with the bank manager. In addition, there are the following fees:
- Assessor – Usually the bank does not require an assessor for mortgages for apartments under construction, but occasionally they do. This will cost about $600.
- Notarial fees – The banks require a notarized power of attorney. This can cost between 161 and 225 NIS.
- Registration of pledge – a pledge must be registered in the banks favor and this costs 155 NIS.
- Deposit for gas – You have to pay the gas company for a new hookup to the gas line. This can cost between 1500 to 2000 NIS.
- Should you wish to have the apartment checked out by an engineer before taking possession, the usual fee is $500 plus V.A.T for a written report and $250 plus V.A.T. for a verbal report.
Should you wish to upgrade or make changes to the basic apartment offered by the construction company, the company will charge you an additional fee for this. You are recommended to consult with an interior designer about these changes.
Back to resources